Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Comcast Gigabit Internet Delivers

A few years ago, I talked about some issues with my WiFi and AT&T.  For about three years now, Comcast has been my service provider.  I started with their 250Mbps plan, then 400Mbps, and now 1000Mbps.

 

I'm happy to report that, at least when wired directly to the modem via Ethernet, I am able to reach 942Mbps download speeds.

 

Now, four feet from the router provided by Comcast and only on WiFi, it drops down to 541Mbps.  I haven't tried turning off WPA2 but I bet that has something to do with the huge drop.

 

Stepping further away, one floor down, it goes down to the 400Mbps range - which is not bad.  But there are still a few things I would like to try in order to reach the maximum speeds. 

One of them is adding a mesh WiFi system.  I don't really need one because I have a small house, but maybe having one will help keep the speed above 500Mbps even in the garage.

The other more drastic measure is to hard-wire the access points.  I would also like to activate the Ethernet ports in the various rooms so that other people in my household can connect via Ethernet.

 

With everybody working from home and schooling from home, I need all the bandwidth I can get.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment