Monday, November 3, 2014

Saving Coca-Cola

In the latest news, Coca-Cola's stock is down 6%.  Investors did not receive the news very well - that soda sales are declining, that more and more people are waking up to the fact that sodas are not healthy drinks.

While still the most recognizable brand worldwide, Coca-Cola is in a decline.  Is it a reversible trend?  Maybe, or maybe not.  But with close to 3 billion dollars spent in marketing, it might make a difference in the outcome.

But when was the last time I saw a Coke commercial?  It has been ages.  I have not seen one while watching YouTube, or any ad-supported game I am playing.  I rarely watch live sports, and everything else is recorded so that commercials can be skipped.

I am a Coca-Cola fan and a shareholder.  I remember growing up with Coke.  I remember the truck stopping by our house to deliver a case of 8 oz. bottles to my grandmother.  I remember walking to the corner store to buy a liter to share with family and friends.  But, should I face the fact that it will never be the same again?

I also remember the great Coke commercials that tugged on your heartstrings: Friends, or
First Time.  Growing up, Coke was tied to good times.  All the birthday parties had Coke.  Whenever there was something to celebrate, there was Coke.  Whenever there is fun, there's always Coca-Cola!  Coke needs another campaign like these.

And more importantly, Coke should start serving 8-oz bottles again.  I grew up on 8-oz bottles.  That was the perfect size, not 12, not 7, not a liter nor two.  8-oz is the personal size Coke.  If people stuck to drinking one 8-oz bottle a day, they would probably be fine.  I distinctly remember the 8-oz Coke also tasting better, better than the 12-oz, or the half-liter, or even the one in cans.  (Our Coke had sugar, not high-fructose corn syrup.)

To the management team of Coca-Cola, I say, bring back the 8-oz Coke with sugar!








No comments:

Post a Comment